Sunday, June 14, 2009

Belly Painting


2am in the land of the midnight sun


Being pregnant brings on new experiences. This time around it was belly painting! And it was so fun.

Like I said, we have met some great people here in Tromsø. Katrine is definitely one of the coolest and the one that I wish I could have gotten to know better. She has three adorable girls, her third is the same age as Rio, and a charming boyfriend who I voted "best dressed" at Rio's birthday. While she works in the hospital's pathology lab, she has a wildly creative spirit. Among other things, she loves capturing the mother-child relationship through the camera lense; she recently started to paint bellies and photograph them.

Inspired by mexican folk art, we designed this sun. She turned on some Billy Holiday and started painting freehand with theater make-up. We then did a photo shoot behind a white backdrop but I like the ones outside the best. In all my shyness, I was not easy to work with. But this was a special moment dedicated solely to baby number three whom I really haven't had much time to think about.

Thank you, Katrine! I will never forget this...or you!



7 comments:

tekeal said...

wow, that is beautiful!!! you are beautiful... ! let the sun shine...

Syncopa said...

Way cool!!! :D

Melanie-Pearl said...

Absolutely beautiful---everything about it, you, the baby. So amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Nadia said...

So magical! Thanks so much for sharing.

Sari said...

I 2nd and third that-you are so beautiful! What a Mama-glow you have! And your belly too.

Beautiful artistry by your dear friend. Umm, I dont have a baby in mine but it looks like that - think your friend could paint me a refrigerator on it...? ;)

vdoula said...

beautiful belly, beautiful mama, beautiful photo!!! what a joyful way to connect with bambino numero tres, mi amor!

Anne said...

Wow! Beautiful! Congratulations!